From Left Right <olegsivo...@gmail.com>
Subject Warnings of Flex compilers
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 01:01:14 GMT
Hi,
I didn't file this as a bug or f/r because I don't know what were the
reasons for these design decisions. I'm talking about a whole bunch of
compiler options for warnings which follow the form of:

-compiler.warn-you-did-this-and-this

I was wondering why wouldn't it be possible to make it into:

-compiler.warn <you-did-this-and-this>, <you-did-something-else-too>, ...

with a known set of 'this and this'. As per my observation these compiler
options are been used _extremely_ rarely. And, in my opinion the fact they
take about half the space in the documentation is counterproductive. More
yet, many of them, as of today, are either redundant or questionable. Why
would anyone want to be warned about using a method named __resolve - does
anyone really remember what it was used for in AS2? It was used very rarely
then too, and it's impossible to imagine someone who's, pardon me, that
stupid to not realize that compiler is only working with AS3 code. Or,
another warning about missing parenthesis after function identifier? The
later caused a wicked superstition about use of references to functions.
Less knowledgeable programmers tend to employ all kinds of funny techniques
to avoid this warning, like, instead of doing if (someFunction) { ... }
they do if {someFunction is Function) { ... } etc. Because this setting
also happened to be a default.

On the other hand, I was wondering why would anyone design this in this
way. What did I possibly miss?

Best.

Oleg