From Left Right <olegsivo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SDK as an RPM?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:13:33 GMT
OK, I went forward, and I've couple of questions now:
- SDK command line utilities usually rely on $FLEX_HOME being set (or set
it themselves). I would imagine that the common use case is not to set
$FLEX_HOME and let the utilities figure it out on their own. They would
normally default to the parent directory of where they live, but this is
not optimal. The desired setup would be something like so:

/usr/bin/mxmlc (soft link to /etc/alternatives/mxmlc)
/etc/alternatives/mxmlc (soft link to
/usr/lib/apache-flex-sdk/mxmlc-${version})
/usr/lib/apache-flex-sdk/mxmlc-${version} is the actual shell script that
launches java -jar mxmlc -yada-yada

So, instead of modifying existing shell scripts, it's more feasible to set
$FLEX_HOME to the directory the dpkg will be installing the SDK. This is
not a problem, but what do you think would be the average use case: should
$FLEX_HOME go into /etc/profile or into $HOME/.profile ? I.e. what is most
likely to happen - SDK is installed for all users, or SDK is installed on
per user basis? (I do usually install it for all users, because it's a home
PC, obviously, but who knows...)

Best.

Oleg