From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MENTOR] release package questions
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:38:39 GMT
Hi Carol,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Carol Frampton <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I read that every ASF release must contain a source package, which must be sufficient
for a
> user to build and test the release provided they have access to the appropriate platform
and tools
> and that Apache allows a binary package as a convenience to users that may not want to
build the sources....

That's correct, only the source releases are official releases,
binaries are just a convenience.

> ... *   Is there suppose to be one package with just source and another package with
the results of the build or can they be combined?...

A source-only package is required, that's what the (P)PMC votes on.

If a binary package is distributed as well, it can contain the sources
as a convenience but that won't be the official release so it's
probably better to avoid that.

> ...Our build downloads some libraries which don't have compatible licenses to the Apache
license.
> Can we distribute binaries built with these libraries?...

No, we can only distribute code with dependencies that are ok
according to http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html.

If the Flex code has dependencies with incompatible licenses, those
must be optional, and users must be warned if the build downloads them
automatically.

The rationale is that our releases must not put an additional burden
on users besides the Apache Licenses - anything that introduces
restrictions compared to that must be optional and clearly labelled as
such.

-Bertrand