From Omar Gonzalez <>
Subject Re: [OT] What are we doing here?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:35:56 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Tink <> wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2012, at 22:57, Justin Mclean wrote:
>>  Tink's layouts have been around forever, been used by quite a bit of the
>>> Flex community and, I feel, fill a need in the SDK but remain in his
>>> whiteboard. Why?
>> Perhaps he feels that are not ready yet or that they need more testing?
>> But that doesn't stop people from using them.
> There's been little interest in the layouts and navigator stuff on this
> list TBH.
> There's quite a bit of code there so I understand it takes a lot of
> commitment to trail through the code and understand it.
> I'll just keep committing stuff and open sourcing it via github and my
> blog as well and and see what happens here. Maybe I'm just not familiar
> enough with he process here to push them along.
> Tink

Hm, personally I think it has to do with us not really having a formalized
process yet for getting things from the whiteboard and into the SDK itself.
I think the work you've done with all these layouts is awesome, but as you
hinted at I haven't actually spent the time to get intimately familiar with
them because I'm currently not on any active Flex projects so I've been
dedicating my free time to some experiments that I hope to bring to the
mailing list soon.

Justin's tried to move his forward by making a [Proposal] thread, which
ended up sparking a lot of discussion. Perhaps we need some guidance here
from the mentors on how exactly other projects navigate their code from
something like a whiteboard and on into the SDK. We probably need a list of
requirements, such as does it have ASDoc, comments, unit tests, Mustella
tests, etc. Not saying these are the requirements or that this list I just
said is complete by any means, just that we should probably start figuring
this out.

Omar Gonzalez