From "imagenesis@gmail.com" <imagene...@gmail.com>
Subject Changing Flex rendering to abstract renderer
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:41:32 GMT
I am porting Flex to Starling with a fork of Starling that will have the
additional functionality to support such a port. Besides that, I will
attempt to get Flex working with Jangaroo. I have not looked into Jangaroo.
To facilitate both targets, I will be switching references to
flash.display.Sprite and other necessary classes for the subset of Flex
that I'm starting with (Spark), to a class that implements the necessary
interfaces for Flex.

As there are no short term goals of switching the native DisplayList API to
render with Stage3D, and it's likely that short term developements in
Actionscript to Javascript compilers (haxe, nme) will continue to work off
native display list API, I think its a good idea to transition Flex to an
interface base rendering solution to target Stage3D and the native display
list. I hope that Jangaroo provides or the the Flash community settle on an
abstract rendering API to target both Javascript and Stage3D.

I will post my benchmarks with the graphics object rendering to bitmaps and
then to Stage3d as soon as I have them.

To be honest however, I will most likely not use interfaces to cut down on
development and as its not really necessary as Starling is close enough,
but will simply have the Flex referenced classes extend Sprite from
Starling and native Sprite depending on the target.

Anyway, fundamentally for the greater Flex community, getting Flex to run
on Javascript is absolutely critical and will make Flex be the number #1
Javascript framework by far.