From Roland Zwaga <rol...@stackandheap.com>
Subject Re: API for reflection
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:12:38 GMT

> > to be precise, reflection is present in flash player (via
> > describetype) but the queries about structure of some class are not
> > cached, and accessible as xml not as a collection or something
> > similar.
> And performance of describetype is poor and probably the lowest priority
> feature of the VM.  Getting the compiler to add whatever you wanted from
> describetype as properties on the class would speed it up significantly.

Having the compiler add this kind of reflection info would be awesome.
as3commons-bytecode, for example, wouldn't need to
parse the loaded SWF anymore in order to generate runtime dynamic
properties.
I agree that as3commons-reflect probably shouldn't need to be part of the
SDK, if the SDK itself doesn't need the reflection
bits then it shouldn't be a part of it, people can just use as3-reflect.
Having the compiler support better reflection would be such an amazing
improvement though, we could  a Flex extension to
as3commons-reflect that uses those extra features. That way pure
actionscript projects could keep on using the 'regular'
as3-reflect classes while Flex apps could leverage the new reflection
functions.

cheers,

Roland
(FYI, I run the as3commons project)