From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [RT] My Flex journey.
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:40:59 GMT
On 30/03/2012 17:18, Kiel wrote:
> Hi Martin & Alain,
>
> Good Answer.
>
> Then I need to decide. Ok, I decided to go `for Flex`.
>
> With this I have established a realization.
>     ActionScript 3 is Fundamental in developing applications `with
> Flex` and/or in developing `for Flex`.
>     Flex4j (Flex for Java) can be also be used in developing
> applications `with Flex`
>     There are a lot of technologies `on-top-of-Flex`.
>
> Another question:
> 1. What tools do I need to get started in developing `for Flex`
> 2. Should I be concerned of the technologies that are `on-top-of-Flex`
> if I focused on developing `for Flex`.

I assume you mean with "for Flex" that you want to improve the SDK:

If you want to participate in helping with the Flex SDK then you should
be aware that the different systems are written in different languages.
Basic tools are a Text Editor and a Version Control system such as SVN
or Git and a web browser :-). If you are working with code it makes your
life easier if you use a IDE/Texteditor with support for the particular
language.

   The compiler (that makes .swf/.swc files out of  AS3/MXML/CSS) is
written in Java and you need a Java Development Kit (JDK) for it. If you
want to improve it you need to know Java.

   The libraries (that allow to show buttons and alike) are written in
ActionScript 3. You need the SDK's compiler to compile those classes.
There are various SDK's for ActionScript.

   The documentation (that shows up in the generated docs) is written
using asdoc annotation (another java tool from the SDK) in ActionScript
files and those are mixed with XML files.

Flex further uses build scripts (code that generates various parts of
the SDK). They are written in ANT (a java based tool, not part of the SDK).

IDE's for Java
   Eclipse
   IntelliJ IDEA
   NetBeans