From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:32:39 GMT
On 29/03/2012 02:20, Alex Harui wrote:
> I'm still trying to make sure I understand both the technical and legal
> issues.  I see specs for CFF and DefineFont4, but there are rumors that the
> conversion is currently done via proprietary algorithms.  If we (Apache
> Flex) just write our own, there may be a quality issue.

Converting <any-font-format> to <otf> is not properly defined, as far as
I know. Also: the various
font formats have different capabilities and not all cases are 100%
clear. That means that any
algorithm will work slightly different. Additionally: If Adobe
"improved" the algorithms to a
a non-straight conversion but flash focused conversion then that's
hidden knowledge (nowhere
documented etc.). I do not see the effort to try to reverse engineer the
algorithm as appropriate.
May the new version be Apache Flexy.

yours
Martin.