From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Here Comes MXMLC!
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 06:18:41 GMT
On 28/03/2012 04:04, Alex Harui wrote:
> Today we finally got the last blocking legal issue resolved and are now hunting down
executives to sign the appropriate documents to submit the source code for MXMLC to Apache.
 The final signature has to come from a VP who is on vacation this week, but we are going
to try to get him to sign from where ever he is.  Yes, there is still some chance of a glitch
in the approvals, but it is low probability.

> Then, of course, we have to get Apache Infra to do an SVN load of the code with history.
 But Carol will probably check in code w/o history into her whiteboard

Sounds like a plan!

> There are some things related to this donation that you should be aware of:
>
> 1) We were unable to get clearance for any compiler tests.  They were too infested with
stuff with incompatible licenses.  So, those interested might want to plan out how to verify
compiler changes going forward.

Would it be possible to sort out test data at least? Like: sourcefolder
+ expected swf without a test system behind that? Having to start from 0
is really a tremendous amount of work...

> 2) CFF Font Embedding is not being donated.  The source code is not under control of
the Flex team at Adobe.  This means that you won’t be able to compile
>      @font-face(“somefile.ttf”); embedAsCFF:true
> For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.  You can also use
the fontswf utility or Adobe CS products to make a SWF with a CFF font in it and embed from
there.  We will try to figure out a better solution later.  We decided not to delay the compiler
donation for this issue.

That is a problem, possibly a release-breaker. Luckily the ByteCode for
DefineFont4 seems rather simple - just requires a <font> to OpenType
converter. FontForge[1] seems to offer conversion mechanisms, its BSD
licensed and cross platform, worth looking into?!

yours
Martin.

[1] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/generate.html