From sébastien Paturel <sebpatu.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing Flex rendering to abstract renderer
Date Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:02:29 GMT
Great initiative !
I also believe that flex has a great future if we manage to get it cross
compiled to HTML5 and maybe other platforms (video game platforms for
example).
The future is mutli screen (smart tv coming) and media merging in one
device (phone, computer, watch, videogame etc in one device), the
ability to target all platforms easily with cost effective solution is gold.
consistency and ubiquity is what made flash a great success, and is what
give flex a big potential.
And i also believe thats its doable.
Lets stop thinking of flash only with flash player, its a flash platform
we're talking about, not only a runtime! tools and framework will be
more relevant then ever in such a near future.

The fact is that cross compilation and languages is not the hard part.
Falcon and what has been done with Falcon JS already gives the solution.
The hard part is to run on HTML5 (for example) what flash player run for us.

FlasconJs is trying to run on HTML5 stack.
But trying to run on GPU is easier solution i think.
Nowadays, every new hardware (smart screen) rely on a powerfull GPU.
GPU performances and power consumption efficiency is growing much more
quickly than CPU.
And by chance, the GPU apis and implementations are more standard than
HTML5 for example.
Getting flex run on GPU is giving better performances and open the gate
to run mostly on any device.

If we get flex cross compiled to JS, Java and C++, and run it on GPU
threw OpenGL ES (WebGL) api for example, targeting any new device would
become straight forward.
we get better performances, less battery consumption, eeasy to target
new devices...

i dont know if its what you have in mind with your initiative, but it is
definitly a great way to take flex ubiquitus.