From James Cowan <jamesmco...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Haxe and Flex
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:17:29 GMT

MXML/AS3/Flex are conceptually identical to XAML/C#/WPF. They borrow a
lot of ideas from previous XML UI technologies.
MXML/haXe/Flex does sound quite viable.

The issue is that both Silverlight and Flash are dieing and haXe
represents a future for Flex because it is clever cross compiler
technology that targets lots of platforms - native o/s including mobile
via nme/cpp, vm via neko, browser via js and swf and in time java/c#.

The problem with haXe is that a language/compiler is only a part of a
development environment - libraries/frameworks for persistence and GUI
are as important. If I could develop in haXe and use a haXe enabled Flex
as my GUI framework and a haXe enabled ORM (on the lines of
JPA/Hibernate) as my persistence framework and then could target
desktop/javascript/swf/mobile from the same code base, that would be
awesome.

It may be a pipe dream if every library has to be rewritten at the
source level and I can understand anyone baulking at that. I will ask
Nicolas
if there might be a way of interfacing Flex or say Hibernate (when the
java target is ready) without rewrite at source level. I imagine he will
point at the migration tools and say that once the migration from AS3 to
haXe is done, one would dump the AS3 code.

I live in the town where "Flash on the Beach" had its last year - there
was a big local Flash community but now it has moved on to Javascript
(with canvas)
and to mobile and they are much more interested in
HaXe/Corona/Titanium/Marmalade than Flex/Air mobile.

Java/Swing failed on the desktop and the browser (applets) mainly
because of runtime issues (and competition from Microsoft/Apple) and I
would be sorry to see Flex die because the runtime (Flash) died under it.

I would certainly see a future for Flex on Flash/Air technology if Adobe
donated the defunct Air for Linux to Apache and Apple issued a statement
embracing it
on OSX but I do not see this happening soon.

James