From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: [Wiki] Code conventions
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:00:56 GMT

   It depends..
  Under US Copyright work; any modifications are derivative works.  In
writing, I haven't the foggiest idea how much needs to be changed to
make it 'separate'.

  In music, the "common knowledge" is that you need four bars to make
something unique.  That means, you can copy less than four bars from
someone else and be okay.

  Four bars is a very very small piece of any musical work.

  [Note, I am not a lawyer, and this is in no way legal advice, and
common knowledge is not always legally accurate; and we are potentially
dealing with a lot more than "US copyright law" in this case].

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur