From James Cowan <jamesmco...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Maven and Flex 4.6
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:56:19 GMT
  On 09/03/2012 19:38, Martin Heidegger wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 03:04, James Cowan wrote:
>> Can Apache Flex not invite Marvin Froeder (the Flex mojos author) to
>> join Apache?
>>
>> Is flexmojos license the issue? Can JP Morgan lob some funding over
>> to Marvin Froeder :-)
>>
>> James
> I think the issue is that Marvin Froeder is not interested in
> contribution the mojos to flex.
>
> However: Generally speaking: The Flex mojos are licensed under APL 2.0
> this means that any
> contributor could theoretically fork the mojos and add it to the flex
> sdk. Opensource and stuff.
>
> @Mentor: What are the rules to branching other Open source projects to
> Apache Projects?
>
> yours
> Martin.

The license is GPL on the flexmojos site.

I imagine that is because Marvin has worked on it for many years and
never been funded - I know he is working on a licensed
version FME (for mobiles) - making a living as an open source developer
is very tough unless you are funded.

I have always found Marvin extremely helpful. Also the source code of
flexmojos is enormous (enough to make your eyes water) and it took me a
day and
some ghastly hacks to get it to coexist imperfectly with SDK 4.6 so
getting Marvin involved somehow would be very good.

James