From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Datatips not functioning correctly in list and grids
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:32:07 GMT
Hi,

> For s:DataGrid that isn't how it works.
Yes it does work differently to the mx components, sorry I had incorrectly assumed it would
do the same thing.

> Look at the doc for dataTipField and dataTipFunction.  I think you would need to use
a dataTipFunction and
> decide when to show the tip yourself.
If you set a dataTipFunction data tips will show all the time as you are  (generally) trying
to display some extra information. That's fine.

The issue is with the simplest case when you just have some text that too big to fit in a
cell/row. It seems a bit odd to display datatips that are identical to what is being display
in the cell (to me anyway) when the text fits. The mx components dealt with this (although
in a slightly buggy way as you had to set the dataTipField to null for it to work).

It's not easy to control if a dataTip shows as if the  dataTipFunction returns an empty or
null sting you get an (ugly) blank tooltip showing. I sure there's a way around this but it
probably should not display a tool tip if there's noting to be displayed.

It's easy enough to patch the above issues just wanted to get feedback on what people think
the behaviour should be.

Thanks,
Justin