From "Rui Silva" <f...@rduartes.net>
Subject re: [Tink whiteboard] was: [OT] What are we doing here?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:38:53 GMT
-------- Original Message --------
> From: "Arnoud Bos" <arnoud@artim-interactive.nl>
>
> Hi Tink,
>
> Your layouts / navigators are of great value! So consider this as interest :-)
> Maybe because they just work and people can grab them from the whiteboard
> there is not much feedback.

Interesting you mention this as I've just been reading a presentation [1] by Stefano Mazzocchi,
who back in 2006 tried to explain his ideas around community building (or growing as he says).
I've come across this presentation on the incubator-general mailing list, posted by Jukka
(if I'm not mistaken).

Stefano mentioned something he calls the "good ideas and bad code" lifecycle, which basically
states that if you have good ideas and good code then you won't promote community involvement,
because people will just use your code and be done with it. I guess Tink's components fall
in that category, so I wouldn't be too surprised that people won't talk much about them. That's
not to say that you should commit bad code, just that, good finalized code does not elicit
discussion and participation and, while it is great for the toolbox, it's bad for community
building (growing).

[1] http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/papers/ac2006.2.pdf

Rui