From Erik Lundgren <e...@lndgrn.se>
Subject Re: [IDEAS] Flex: New user interface design
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 23:02:35 GMT

26 feb 2012 kl. 22.59 skrev Martin Heidegger:

> real world units are no problem in css/javascript allowing "cm".

We don't target the html/css stack yet. But we want to. So i think it is important to count
it in as soon as possible.

CSS rendering of "real world units" seems stable but does not work exactly the way you would
expect.

CSS user agents assumes a 96 ppi screen [1]. On my 113 ppi screen a 10 cm div renders as a
8.5 cm div. Exactly the behavior I don't want: 1 cm in code, 85 mm on screen.

This may of course still be helpful as a fixed northern star. Given the 96 ppi and the browsers
rendering we could calculate the run time screens ppi: 96 / (8.5 / 10) ).

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#length-units