From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: Can Adobe kill Apache Flex
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:59:00 GMT
>Somehow i always find this funny, people saying you can build your own flash player because
the swf format is open and we have tamarin.
>Where are the official specs of v11-v13 swf format then? Maybe i'm looking in the wrong
places. But AFAIK they're not publicized by Adobe.
>(at least no one answers on the forum about it see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878781
and on the site i can only find this:
>http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf.html)
>
>So yes you can start building a flash player running swf's that comply  with the adobe
specs that are 3 versions behind the current production release.
>That is a ridiculous task. I think adobe is not so keen on giving those specs away as
many people tend to think. I heard Adobe promote about how open the swf >format is. To
me it feels a bit dishonest. If you want to promote the swf format as open then you should
release the specs at the same time as the runtime playing it. >Not years later...

That's fair. I would also like to see the most modern version, however, based on the information
we have and the existing code, I do not think it's a stretch to believe that a virtual machine
that could run existing Flex application can be created. I am not suggesting we do so, nor
am I saying that we have the specifications in the format for every modern feature. We don't
disagree here.

Mike