From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: Starting with the Whiteboard Code
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 00:35:28 GMT
>> Writing unit tests for the framework is something that could be started now.  The
framework code is out there.
>>Are the other ones logical tests? In other words: Would they need to be ported to
a unit-test system?

Unfortunately, with a few exceptions, unit tests *cannot* be written for the Flex framework.
It isn't something that can be started. Unit tests by definition involve the writing of a
test for a single object isolated from all other objects, not dependent upon global state,
that also means they can't be dependent upon things like the frame rate and enter frame events.

Looking at something like UIComponent, it references singletons and static classes (global
state). It is coupled tightly with dozens of other objects. It relies upon the LayoutManager,
which relies upon the frames, to function.

There is nothing about the current state of Flex that approaches being testable in units.
That's why so many of us have been arguing for refactoring for so long. Since most of our
code involves extending or referencing Flex classes, and in most cases there aren't interfaces
for those implementations, our code becomes un-unit-testable by association.

Mike

Notice: This transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this transmission by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the original transmission. Thank you.