From Robert Cesaric <rob...@cesaric.com>
Subject Re: Flex adopting haXe ?
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:08:12 GMT

On Feb 22, 2012, at 10:45 AM, Left Right wrote:

> I honestly believe that a concept of 3 different nulls (null, undefined and
> false) in ECMAScript is... well, just yet another thing ECMAScript did
> wrong. By reducing it to 2 nulls HaXe did it some justice, but I'd still be
> happier with only one :P

I understand the point but I do have to admit that I like having the different possible values.
 The context of null or undefined to keep track of VO properties has been really helpful in
ORM's when you have DB's like MySQL that accept null values.

Shortened example:

public class UserVO extends AbstractVO
{
	private var _age:*;

	public function get age():Number
	{
		return _age;
	}

	public function set age(value:Number):void
	{
		_age = value;
	}
}

The AbstractVO Class has some helper functions and a writeExternal() hook that allows us recreate
a basic VO and determine which private properties to ignore (undefined), set as null in the
DB or set a legitimate value to (which could be 'false') for CRUD operations.

-Rob

By the way I've enjoyed reading your feedback.  Great insight.