From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Can Adobe kill Apache Flex
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:59:56 GMT

On 2/21/12 2:34 PM, "Arnoud Bos" <arnoud@artim-interactive.nl> wrote:

> Somehow i always find this funny, people saying you can build your own flash
> player because the swf format is open and we have tamarin.
> Where are the official specs of v11-v13 swf format then? Maybe i'm looking in
> the wrong places. But AFAIK they're not publicized by Adobe.
> (at least no one answers on the forum about it see
> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878781 and on the site i can only find this:
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf.html)

I think I've explained this on the list already.  The Flash Player has
multiple version numbers, making for a lot of confusion.  The numbers are:

1) The public version of the player
2) The SWF version number in the SWF
3) The SWF File Format spec.

These numbers are no longer kept in sync.  FlashPlayer 11.1 (public version)
handles SWF version 13 or lower, and all SWF files conform to SWF File
Format 10.

There have been no changes to the SWF file format since player 10.  There
have been changes to the API forcing new SWF version numbers, and we choose
public versions based on some marketing/business logic.

So, everything you need is really out there.

And according to Dave McAllister, Adobe's Director of Open Source and
Standards: "...there is already a fairly decent SWF player clone, called
lightspark.
http://lightspark.github.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightspark

But really, now is not the time to be trying to develop or target an open
source player.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team