From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adobe / Apache / Spoon Flex Tour
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:27:42 GMT

On 2/19/12 9:39 AM, "Michael A. Labriola" <labriola@digitalprimates.net>
wrote:

>> I believe Gordon Smith said in one of the email threads that the new compiler
>> is no longer generating ActionScript 3 from the MXML files but converting
>> directly to bytecode. I would imagine this is the preferred >approach, no? I
>> haven't done any compiler dev myself, yet... but I'm eager to learn.
>
> IMO, no. I think, although the structure was wrong, the approach taken in the
> Flex 3.x timeline where MXML was nothing but a set of descriptors was much
> better.
>
> I like to think of MXML as declarative configuration for my project's views.

Well, even the descriptors have to be described in bytecode, and Falcon goes
straight to the equivalent bytecode instead of an intermediate step of
generated AS.

I implemented a new descriptor system for both MX and Spark components in
Falcon, but it needs vetting and testing.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team