From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: Flex adopting haXe ?
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:09:31 GMT
Hi Nicolas,

I think the proposal to port Apache Flex to haXe sounds very good since
many of us know you, your talent and what you did with MTASC and later with
haXe. Your quality writing compilers and getting the right solution is
superb.

Many of still remember the open source flash era back in 2005 when a
vibrant community was making the osflash movement successful. Then Adobe
comes with brutal changes that broke the community : Flash 9, AS3, Flex 2,
FDS, and so on. You decided to create haXe as well.

Now haXe has evolved great and Apache Flex could go the haXe way to be a
real open source framework that does not depend only in Adobe's runtime.

The problems behind : This way is hard, but feasible, and take into account
that principal actors using Flex nowadays are IT departments of huge
organizations and enterprise customers that need a viable migration path to
all applications deployed until now.

We must to take into account, that Flex is MXML and AS3 right now. People
that wants to move from adobe flex sdk latest sdk (4.6) to apache flex,
need a migration path that could be done with more or less pain. If we
chage in a radical manner and adobe sdk and apache flex sdks is radicaly
different, we could loose in the process lots of users.

I, as many others, would love to see haXe and you  (Nicolas) contributing
to the effort, but I think we should have a feasible plan in order to see
this as a viable option.

Is strange, but seems things are turning to the state we left in 2005-6  ;)

Great to see you here Nicolas! :)

Carlos Rovira

--
Carlos Rovira