From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would anyone care if we ditched support for semicolons being optional?
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:20:15 GMT
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:53 AM, David Arno <david@davidarno.org> wrote:

> If Dimitri's great efforts to try and get us early access to the Falcon
> compiler fail and we instead carry on with trying to develop our Goshawk
> compiler, I'd like to make a change to the AS3 language spec by making
> semicolons at the end of statements mandatory. I wanted to find out well in
> advance whether anyone sees this as a show-stopping "no way" change, or
> whether there would be broad support for it.

It seems you have broad support for this change on this list, and I
agree with that sentiment. I can't imagine why they were not made
mandatory from the beginning. However, I bet you'd get a different
answer if you asked the wider Flex user community. Most of that would
be motivated by the "that would break so much of my code" mentality.

I still think it's something we should do, but maybe it's something we
should do slowly.

Greg