From David Francis Buhler <davidbuh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IDEAS] Flex: New user interface design
Date Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:11:27 GMT
My own personal preference would be to remove the current themes (both MX
and Spark) from the SDK. This includes the Cobalt theme, Zen theme, etc. I
would stick with the "Wireframe" theme for Spark controls. In doing so, we
remove the obvious visual impression of a "Flex Application", and
encourage the use of Flex/AIR apps that look like part of their native
environment (FaceBook, Android, iOS, Windows 8, etc.). Most developers take
short-cuts and use one of the existing themes when building a product for
their client, and unintentionally give the impression of a hodgepodge of
technologies that prevent the impression of product cohesion. Removing the
Cobalt theme, Zen theme, and other themes would discourage this practice of
use-what-i-found.

If companies have designers, they're better off with a tool like Martin
suggests then they are with existing Themes. Moreover, the existing themes
confuse designers (with the MX and Spark namespaces, the inability to
understand each and every style property, or the overwhelming number of
properties available). If companies don't have designers, they're better
off sticking with Wireframe theme until they do.

Incidentally, I'd love to see a tool that generates themes from a
user-defined base color, with the palette generation of complimentary,
monochromatic or triad colors, similar to Kuler.

[1]  http://kuler.adobe.com/