From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: Working groups - different approach
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:56:37 GMT

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Martin Heidegger <> wrote:
> On 13/02/2012 19:01, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> I disagree - busy mailing lists are good if well managed.
> I have not too much experience with good management of mailing-lists. Is
> there some good article/thing to read about that?

the one I posted to previously, at
(it's my blog - as I said, shameless but IMO useful plug)

>> Using [translation], [testing] and similar tags in message subjects...

> Do you think it would be good to predefine such tags in order for other
> people to not confuse them?
> A definition would be a lot like a own mailing list (for example one could
> pre-set filters in his mail client of choice)...

you could predefine some but they usually evolve as soon as people see
a pattern.
There are some proposals at

>> As for people in charge, the PPMC is in charge of such things, and if
>> only a subset of it is interested in translations, for example,
>> getting votes for those people, while others abstain,
> How does that work? In what time span can a PPMC member intercept? Is one
> PPMC that raises its voice enough?
> What if no PPMC raises its voice?..

The best is to reach consensus without a vote, people agree and commit
code (or translations, whatever) that they find good.

Any committer can then veto that code, with justification.

For topics that need a vote, the rules at apply.

It's quite easy to have informal sub-groups who each take care of
different modules in that way, without requiring specific

View raw message