From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IDEAS] Flex: New user interface design
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 22:05:56 GMT
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Martin Heidegger <mh@leichtgewicht.at>wrote:

> Hello Erik,
>
> real world units are no problem in css/javascript allowing "cm". In Flex
> the problem is that the Flash Player does not offer proper DPI (as you
> mentioned). That means we need "workarounds" it can be implemented within
> the Web using ExternalInterface - a JavaScript bridge.

So this part should be easy as we can just store a JS string and execute it
with EI and wrap that all in a class that we can use in UI components to do
the appropriate width/height assignments. I don't think that would be a big
deal, we should be able to just poll for that value from the browser once
in Flex browser based apps.

> It can be implemented in AIR using NativeExtensions. There is just no
> standard solution for that available in Flex.....

If we wrote an ANE that covered all the OSs we need to cover we could apply
it as a behavior as we've discussed in other threads giving a component the
capability of reading its correct width and height values in Flex based AIR
applications. I think that would be a nice feature. Its not going to create
UIs that are universal to all types of screen sizes from a single layout,
but it'll make applying designs more predictable and hopefully much more
accurate. I think its something worth investigating.

--
Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org