From Niel Drummond <niel.drumm...@grumpytoad.org>
Subject Re: [gosh] Goshhawk language choices and more [Was: Adobe / Apache / Spoon Flex Tour]
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:19:23 GMT
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM, David Arno <david@davidarno.org> wrote:

> We can't use something like LLVM though as we are not simply creating a
> language compiler: we are creating a framework compiler. We can't just
> compiler AS3 code to JavaScript, for we need to handle rendering in a
> language-specific fashion. JavaScript for example will likely need skin
> "classes" written directly in JavaScript that need to be stitched in to
> the output by the JavaScript back-end.

I don't recommend the approach of writing a separate javascript layer -
haxe has the concept of "untyped" code blocks, and a special Dynamic type,
which is extremely useful at getting around browser incompatibilities (I
think GWT has something similar). I don't think it makes sense to create a
javascript backend without this feature.

- Niel