From Arnoud Bos <arn...@artim-interactive.nl>
Subject Re: Can Adobe kill Apache Flex
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:34:22 GMT

On Feb 21, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Michael A. Labriola wrote:

>> thanks for the input, let me put it another way. Adobe can change the runtime anytime
they want. They have not made the runtime code accessible to the Apache >Flex project.
Its within the realm of possibility that they can change something in the runtime that breaks
for example current Flex
>> 4.6 apps. Since you don't have the runtime code accessible how will you go about
fixing the issue.

> So, yes, they could decide that when the runtime starts up that it will no longer run
any code. That is their choice as they own the runtime. Doing so though is not in their or
anyone else's best interest and doesn't make much sense. Doing so would not only break all
Flex projects currently deployed in the world but also likely all content created in Flash
or ActionScript projects. It is worth noting that Adobe said they would test future version
of the Flash Player and AIR against Flex 4.6. That does give us a baseline

> I think the best predictor of future behavior is the past. Flash has always strived to
be backward compatible with code written long ago. When major changes were made to the Flash
runtime, they actually create a whole new virtual machine so that the original code would
continue to work forever more. If I had to guess, that's what we will eventually see here.
My 2 cents. Personally that isn't what keeps me up at night, it's a losing proposition for
Adobe to make such a change.

> More scary is the prospect of Apple and Microsoft changing licensing to disallow things
like AIR and Flash Player. This is not in any way likely. Apple tried it. It didn't go well,
just saying this would be more of a fear than the other items.

>> And I have not played with Java for a while. I know there's an open JDK .
>> Isnt' the Java runtime open sourced as well ?
>
> The Java runtime is under an open source license, but it is controlled in a proprietary
fashion... much the way Flex was previously. It is useful to know that the format for SWF
is also available and open. Further, the core virtual machine for the Flash Player is available
as part of the tamarin project under Mozilla, so, much like an open JDK, it is possible to
write our own Flash Player.... please know this is not a suggestion.

Somehow i always find this funny, people saying you can build your own flash player because
the swf format is open and we have tamarin.
Where are the official specs of v11-v13 swf format then? Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.
But AFAIK they're not publicized by Adobe.
(at least no one answers on the forum about it see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878781 and
on the site i can only find this:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf.html)

So yes you can start building a flash player running swf's that comply  with the adobe specs
that are 3 versions behind the current production release.
That is a ridiculous task. I think adobe is not so keen on giving those specs away as many
people tend to think. I heard Adobe promote
about how open the swf format is. To me it feels a bit dishonest. If you want to promote the
swf format as open then you should release the specs
at the same time as the runtime playing it. Not years later...

> Mike

Met vriendelijke groet,

Arnoud Bos
Artim interactive