From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Flex 5 and non-SWF targets: Skinning
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 01:20:54 GMT
Hi,

While JS performance has greatly improved over the last few years and in terms of raw number
crunching tests it's probably on par with ActionScript in the very latest browsers  from what
I understand the display performance is not on par with Flash/Flex.  Anyone have any unbiased
performance numbers? I certainly don't know of any JS frameworks out there that are equal
in scope or size to the Flex SDK.

The Flex framework is heavily optimised towards how the flash player works (look up the elastic
racetrack) and while most of that is under the hood it still not going to optimised for how
JS engines work. It's not going to be a simple matter of writing a 1-1 cross compiler. I have
no idea how much work it would take  to get decent performance from "FlexJS" across a range
of browsers but I'd assume it's not trivial.

Do we have an idea when  Adobe is going to release Flacon JS to Apache? From memory it was
discussed at the Flex Summit and was something like 6 months away?

 I thought the initial focus of this project was to create a build and apply bug fixes to
it. I for one would like to see an working Apache Flex SDK build as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Justin