From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Code formatting for patch submissions
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:49:34 GMT
Hi,

This has been discussed on the list before but I don't think a consensus was reached. Flex
formatter was mentioned as a possible tool but as It's a Eclipse plugin not everyone would
have access to it.

In general the code patches should be in the same same style as the surrounding code, but
that does vary a bit from place to place.

Flex formatter does have sample output so I've placed this up in my whiteboard area for a)
anyone to use and b) anyone to suggest changes to the formatting style.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/jmclean/formatting/

One thing I'd argue changing is code like this:

if (some condition)
	a = 1;
else
	b =  2;

While it's compact the missing braces can (and often do) cause bugs when the code is modified.

Thanks,
Justin