From Brent Arnold <br...@brentarnold.com>
Subject Re: Native Screen ANE – was "new user interface design"
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:47:39 GMT
I don't have experience on the desktop monitor results, but from my
understanding with mobile the dpi information is returned directly from
the OS on the device. It's known that some devices return improper info,
which I've heard is a result of the OS, not AIR.

For me the information that is returned works well enough to scale
content properly for my mobile apps. I suppose if you have a more
detailed use case, it could be a problem.

Brent

On 2/28/12 1:40 PM, Erik Lundgren wrote:
> 28 feb 2012 kl. 20.46 skrev Brent Arnold:
>
>> What information would you need that's not already included in the Capabilities class?
Right now with Flash and AIR we can get access to screenDPI, screenResolutionX/Y, as well
as color depth information.
> I believe the Capabilities.screenDPI doesn't query the OS for all that the os knows.
>
> On the desktop the Capabilities.screenDPI property will always return the abstract ppi,
not the actual ppis of the displays connected to the pc. On mac you will always get the return
value 72. On windows – I'm not sure – but I would imagine it returns 96 (or the custom
dpi set by the user in the control-panel). Or maybe the player will return 72 on windows as
well. The point is. You won't get the value you are looking for.

> There seems to be multiple issues with mobile devices returning the the wrong screen
values. Maybe this can't be queried correctly by native code either, but maybe it can.

> There is no reliable way of getting this information in Flex at the present. There is
no reliable way to draw real world measured elements in flex.