From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Component creation workflow
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 00:52:30 GMT
On 2/27/2012 5:24 PM, Daniel Reicher wrote:
> I've seen pockets of discussion regarding component creation but nothing
> formalized (it seems) and I think it might be useful to have some process
> in place - even a loose one. For the purpose of opening a discussion, I'll
> use a mythical ProgressBar component...
  As I understand it; the Apache way is that "if it didn't happen on the
list, it didn't happen."

  I expect most "new" component development will be done by people who
have an "Itch to scratch."  and do something, then donate it.  It
doesn't have to be a huge thing with tons of discussion before or
after.  I don't think we need a huge central repository of
pre-development docs; although I do believe it is important to have
documentation.

> Is there a list tag for discussing implementation/architecture for a
> specific component or piece of functionality?
  not explicitly, and I'm not sure if I would recommend creating / using
one.

> Is the current "group think" to continue the component, MXML Spark Skin,
> code-based/optimized Mobile Skin architecture?
  Lots of people are all over the place on this.  There has been some
talk about building a whole new component architecture designed from the
ground up for deployment to multiple platforms (Such as HTML/JS).

> How closely should a Spark component that has an mx equivalent adhere to
> the functionality of the mx component?
   It doesn't matter.  But if you feel something is missing in one or
the other you are welcome to make updates and submit them.

> Should spark components have clean separation from the mx namespace?
  I thought they did?

> Should components be "allowed" to be mobile-only or desktop-only or should
> everything be available in both scenarios unless there is an extremely
> overwhelming rationale not to?
  We already have mobile only components; and "non-mobile" only
components.  I think the answer of "Should this be allowed" is already
addressed; because that is the way it is.  When you build a new
component, build it for what you need.  IT can later be ported over to
mobile or non-mobile at your discretion.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur