From Martin Heidegger>
Subject [RT] HTML - Strategies
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:59:17 GMT

... topic popping up more often than not. haXe follows some concept that
I found being well summarized by Aral Balkan [1]:

"Embracing Write Once, Compile Anywhere, not Write Once, Run Anywhere."

I think that is a great concept: "compile anywhere". What keeps us from
compiling AS3/mxml to JavaScript:

    - Code written in MXML / AS3: No arguing about that, AS3 doesn't
work in HTML, whats possible to do?
        * Write a compiler that compiles to multiplatforms
        * Rewrite everything to a language that compiles to multiplatforms

        I tend to stick on the first because I quite like AS3.

    - Code depending on FlashPlayer structures
        * Separate compatible from non-compatible code segments in Flex
        * Find ways to implement *useful* Flash Player structures for
other platforms to reduce (not eliminate) platform specific code.

       No need to wait for a new compiler to talk about that.

    - Having code that works well in a HTML/JavaScript context: Many
concepts good for FP are not good in html:
       * Examine possible concepts
       * Try different implementations
       * Learn from others mistakes

      No need to wait for the code to be done.

its not so "difficult" to do that, someone just needs to get started imho.

View raw message