From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [IDEAS] Collections and Generics
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:51:34 GMT
On 25/02/2012 03:11, Gordon Smith wrote:
>> hopefully generics will be supported by the Falcon compiler.
> Unfortunately, they won't be, at least not in the first release. We're just working on
compiling the existing language faster and in less memory.

> As discussed in the recent Flash Runtime whitepaper, Adobe plans to evolve the language,
but primarily to help with the company's new gaming and video initiative. Whether generics
are part of that future hasn't been decided yet.

> Also, whether Adobe will continue to contribute to Apache future compiler changes to
support new language features seems unclear at the moment. I haven't seen anybody write anything
about that, and it probably hasn't gotten a lot of thought yet.

> Gordon Smith, Falcon team, Adobe
Hello Gordon,

thanks for the information! If adobe really stays to its plans [1] with
releasing a ActionScript specification then the Apache community can
just improve the compiler on its own. Theoretically speaking it would be
possible to implement generics with mxmlc but I guess waiting for Falcon
makes more sense. If adobe wants to profit of the community efforts to
improve Falcon then I suggest to not work on a separate branch.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://blogs.adobe.com/avikchaudhuri/2011/01/19/setting-the-context
<http://blogs.adobe.com/avikchaudhuri/2011/01/19/setting-the-context/>