From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Early access to Falcon compiler
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 12:16:16 GMT
On 22/02/2012 18:29, Dimitri k. wrote:
> At the Paris Flex meeting, I spoke with Thibault Imbert, who is Senior Runtimes product
manager , about the fact that the Apache Flex project would really benefit from having some
kind of early access to the new Falcon compiler, at least to undestand it and to have to opportunity
to think about what we will have to do after the donation for the MXML and HTML/JS part, and
to help the project momentum by not waiting to 2013 to start working on it.

> Thibault was really interested about this feedback, and quite open to discuss what could
possibly be done before the full donation in order to help us move the projects forward.
> I'm not a compiler guy at all so I used what I remembered from the discussions on this
list for my different ideas (from the best one for us to the easiest for Adobe):

> - Early access to the source code in a Adobe Flex SDK way (see it but don't touch it
;)   )
> - Release of alpha/beta version of the compiler to start working with it
> - Disclosure of the API/compiler mecanism
> - Early documentation about how the compiler works
>
> I will see Thibault again at between 6.30PM and 8.30PM GMT + 1 (Paris), so if compiler
guys (Michael, David, etc.) would chime in and have some ideas/precisions, I'd gladly forward
them.

> Dimitri K.

Isn't it interesting for Adobe to get input from the Apache community
about the project? They want to commit it in the end, right? To commit
it the developers here should approve the commission. It is somewhat
risky for Adobe to develop something for a year or two,  hoping that its
in sync with the aims that Apache Flex has by then.

I think its Adobe should be strongly encourage its developers to discuss
things/questions on the mailinglist and ask for help. Not just that:
Adobe is always free to ask for help here. And I for one would be
curious as to what Adobe is working on.

But aside from that: creating a "closed-no-eyes" development attitude is
a little uncomfortable giving that all other contributors discuss their
contributions in public. I saw that the contributions Adobe did till now
take a while and I am sure they will take a while for Falcon as well: If
you have "from start" a open development model then they might avoid
this effort in the "big contribution" process and they would get input
right away.

yours
Martin.