From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Time for an Apache Flex compiler.
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:36:08 GMT
On 16/02/2012 21:25, Rui Silva wrote:
> Though I'm generally available for any work that this group decides to
> undertake, I really do not see this as a viable solution. Do you truly
> believe that we (considering most of us are Flex developers with
> little or no expertise in compiler development) could come up with a
> better solution in less time than a team of professional compiler
> developers who have been working on it for some time now (even
> considering that this team has been drastically reduced)? If so, I'm
> obviously available to help out in any way I can. Best, Rui

Writing "a" compiler is easy, writing the flex compiler with all
features is fairly difficult. However: There is one thing that the new
Falcon compiler will not solve. It will not be written in AS3 or
bytecode and therefore not be available directly in as3. I find that
sub-optimal which is why I think its would be awesome to have one
available written in AS3. If you reduce the amount of features that this
compiler can deal with (for example: Compilation of Fonts, jps etc. )
then I see it possible to have one earlier than falcon. If its written
in a way that it could leverage threads in a future version of
flashplayer (or workers in JavaScript) then I see no reason why this
should be significantly slower (at least for most operations). If we
happen do some things more efficient by luck ... well then we are a
lucky bunch I guess.

yours
Martin.