From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: SVN vs Git
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:38:32 GMT
On 14/02/2012 01:15, Nicholas Kwiatkowski wrote:
> Understood, but PPMC members won't be watching the github instance -- we
> will only be watching the official Apache resources such as the GIT / SVN /
> Jira, so there is pretty much no chance of anything coming back.

The github branch - people would need provide a "diff" to the particular
used version using a jira entry.
All the PPMC members would need to do is watch the JIRA for merge
requests with attached diffs.

Doing a merge from a different SVN brunch into the trunk or doing a
merge from a git branch is pretty
much equally painful.

> Discussion and code that happen outside Apache "don't happen" (that is how
> all apache projects work).

As I said: Those groups and proposals could send it back using diffs and
entries. At this point a discussion would
be documented. So: While a community at github would "prepare" a
proposal the final discussion for a integration
would go on here.

> I don't see any PPMC blindly accepting changes
> that happen from outside into the official code base -- as that opens up
> another legal surface that could hurt the project
Why do you think I meant it "blindly"? At the time of the merge the
contributor of that diff would need to pass ICLA if it is a substantial
contribution.

yours
Martin.