From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [RT] Awesome FlexNext User Experience (was: Starting with the Whiteboard code)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:19:43 GMT
The differences to languages like Python is that AS3 requires a
compiler, and unlike - for example - haXe the compiler for AS3 is not
written in AS3.

One option is to implement that nice functionality would be a compiler
in AS3. There is rudimentary ActionScript 3 evaluator called "Eval"
available [1].
The  other option would be to "call" the Compiler using a Java
executable. [2] That will work "perfectly" but requires the java plugin
to be installed.
The third option would be to compile it on a server which well ... would
require a server. Wonderfl is nice but highly proprietary. And we could
not use
those examples offline.

A completely different approach would be to implement a "IDE" tutorial.
To be used with all AS3 ide's out there. You download the IDE and there
you have access to documentation from Apache. This way all the IDE's
could provide the same Flex documentation that "interacts" with their
editor.

Just thoughts.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://eval.hurlant.com/
[2] http://www.victordramba.com/?p=31

On 13/02/2012 01:57, JP Bader wrote:
> I have never seen wonderfl.net, but that is exactly the idea of what
> we can build, however I am envisioning something more like rails for
> zombies, or learn Python the hard way, which actually can take you
> through a series of tutorials that will help you experience some of
> the more basic aspects of Flex (and AS3), and then delve into some of
> the more complex aspects, leaving the ending open for users to go
> explore.
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Francis Buhler
> <davidbuhler@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> http://wonderfl.net/ does it.

>>> Would it be a lot of work for us to set up a server that could compile Flex code
and return a compiled swf for a beginner to see as they follow a lesson plan and learn to
program Flex?

>>> Ariel Jakobovits
>>> Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
>>> Phone: 650-690-2213