From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:58:09 GMT
On 11/02/2012 02:56, David Francis Buhler wrote:
> I'm curious how Open-Source projects handle the localization of documentation.

- Every system does it differently, this can be handled in a lot of ways.
I structure it for me like that:

- If documentation is deployed with the release of a project then every
"localization team" has time
to the release to add documentation and either they deploy with
untranslated parts or deploy
the translated parts once each translation is done.

- If the documentation is on a global service (homepage) then usually
the english page is first there
and the translators translate as they pass by. (See php documentation).

- Projects that do not change over a long time due to their simplicity
(small JavaScript projects) usually
can have one documentation and the documentation gets a version related
to but not similar to the
project.

API-doc translation is something that is missing in the FLEX SDK for
years now - I had particular difficult discussions about that in the
Java Community.
I have two concepts for that lying around somewhere.

If we have wiki it would work like:

> ...ng Tour de Flex, I'm not sure how effective it is.
I am not saying that we should continue it, I have certainly not used it ...

> If people have found the application to be helpful, I'd be interested in hearing more.
Me too.

yours
Martin.