From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject [RT] Awesome FlexNext User Experience (was: Starting with the Whiteboard code)
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:00:16 GMT
Dear List,

it can be hard to find a vision for the next version of Flex. Developers
like us like discussions about technical details and they are boring.

I think that is not enough! I think we need something that inspires us
to create something new - something that makes us believe that the
things created with Apache Flex are awesome.

We can make awesome things!

I propose following: Lets ask everyone who listens for user experience
concepts - full or partial. Things that they could see Flex is going to
so the PPMC get a better feeling how awesome they could be.

The proposals should be split in a few categories:

   *) _HTML/JS compatible:_ To compile mxmlc/AS3 -> html/js the concept
has to work within the restrictions of HTML/JS with a optional royal
look and feel when being built for Flash without breaking the system.

   *) _Flash super-powered:_ Systems that leverage the power of the
current version of the Flash Player without thinking for a second about
HTML: Stage 3D / HD videos / JPEG XR / Slick custom fonts / Pixelbender
effects / (generated audio) / ...

   *) _Touch centric:_ Focussing on the fingers:
Swipe/Zoom/Rotate/Expand/Swoosh/... These concepts don't need to care
about a mouse or keyboard.

   *) _Fully portable:_ Interfaces flexible enough to be represented in
the style of various Operation systems without neglecting our need for
style. Awesome on Mac/iOS/Windows/Android with few adaptations.

Some rule-of-thumbs I can think of:

    * Responsiveness is key: The more stuff that has to run at a time
the less likely it will rock.
    * All assets should be open-source: Don't build on royal fonts or
imagery.

What would you think of such a request? Is that something that the PPMC
think is useful? Should we rock that?

Note: The various concepts should be presented in the Wiki.

yours
Martin.