From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Starting with the Whiteboard Code
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 15:20:52 GMT
On 08/02/2012 23:39, Michael A. Labriola wrote:
> I would argue its ubiquity. I don't know any advanced developer that
> is excited about HTML/JS as a language. Those of us excited about it
> are excited by its ubiquity and the capabilities of the VM, not the
> language.
Limitations are sometimes the interesting thing. The strict separation
of data and logic is nowhere as celebrated and natural as in HTML &
JavaScript. Even the representation of data is very, very natural. In
the last year even the semantic web has gained traction. That is in my
opinion a language combination that in its way is unchallenged.

> I have spent the last 8 years of my life teaching and trying to get
> companies to adopt Flex. I saw it as a revolving door where people
> came in and left. Although Adobe willfully ignored it, we already had
> a huge problem converting someone new to intermediate. In my
> experience, our retention rate was around 15% of people who started
> and we had huge problems making the senior architects and developers
> in a company want to work with this framework. That in turn made it
> difficult to ever get adoption throughout.

The biggest problem for me (and companies I was involved with) was its
quality. There was no way to start low. I rather used minimal components
because a 20kb swf just had a different impact than a 400kb swf. The
"easyness of learning" was in total a smaller problem than the "bad
result". The thinking often went like "Why should I study/use Flex if I
can write this better by myself".

> Yep, that's why I think evolutionary change is better than
> revolutionary change right now

I agree: We have here a product called flex. If you create a
revolutionary new system it shouldn't be called flex anymore, its
marketing and documentation-wise a bad idea. People who used flex before
will not be able to interact with the code ... generally not preferable.

yours
Martin.