From Alexandre Madurell <alexandre.madur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:36:13 GMT
On 2/5/2012 10:03 PM, Doug McCune wrote:
>> http://blogs.adobe.com/**avikchaudhuri/2012/01/17/the-**
>> v8-myth-why-javascript-is-not-**a-worthy-competitor/<http://blogs.adobe.com/avikchaudhuri/2012/01/17/the-v8-myth-why-javascript-is-not-a-worthy-competitor/>
>>
> I'd argue the important thing is not the current delta between JS and AS
> performance. For rendering-related tasks ActionScript is still way ahead
> (as that blog post tries to highlight and praise). However, that's not what
> you should focus on. Take a look at this chart:
> http://iq12.com/blog/as3-benchmark/ which shows the incremental speed
> improvements for AS code execution vs JS code execution.
>
> Ignore the numbers in the chart, and ignore the comparison of AS to JS. The
> benchmark only highlights things where JS excels (non rendering things).
>
> Focus on only one thing in that chart: the number of times the lines
> change. Since 2007 (when FP9/AS3 came out) there are 3 times when AS3
> performance increased. Compare that to the line for JS performance in
> Chrome, which has 8 jumps in performance since 2009. That's the difference
> that matters.
>
> And yes, you can argue that the GPU stuff with Molehill should be taken
> into account, etc (although that doesn't help with performance of any
> content not specifically written for GPU rendering). But I think that chart
> tells me more than anything else in this debate. AS3 performance has
> stagnated. JS performance has consistently increased. Is it as good as AS3
> right now? No. But largely that doesn't matter. It's the trajectory that
> matters.
>
> But enough about JS performance. My point wasn't to talk shit about Flash.
> My only point was that writing off HTML/JS as inferior is naive and
> dangerous.

Point taken :)

And thanks for the link, I recall having read it a while ago, and this
other (now updated) link mentioned in the comments is quite illustrative
too: http://www.craftymind.com/guimark3/ (I was shocked to see such poor
video performance by FP on video!).

P.S. I like your logo too (did you know "arrow" is "FLEtXa" in Catalan?) ;)