From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Printing from Flex
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 01:57:00 GMT
Using a backend is not an available option in a AIR application or a
Projector (yes, there are still use-cases where Air can not be
involved). Aside that: I think this is a sad statement. The Flash
Players internal printing API is powerful enough in theory for good
printing - printing works in computers for ages now. Going the way of
pdf generation is always resulting in a usability drawback compared to
direct printing.

However: I don't see why flex should restrict itself to client only.
While we do not need to provide server components (written in language
X) we can define a server protocol for creating pdfs. Workarounds for
air applications in form of NativeExtensions might be worth a thought too.

yours
Martin.