From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Starting with the Whiteboard Code
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 04:51:30 GMT
Hi,

> I am still planning on giving up on strict backward compatibility and starting over.
> Refactoring is hard, and trying to synchronize it with what I hope will be
> tons of changes going forward will be very difficult.

If we break backward compatibility we will need to have an upgrade path for existing applications
than can be achieved with a minimal amount of work. A lot of people are not going to use the
new framework if it requires too much work (and thus cost) to port exiting application to.
If it becomes a large effort they may just decide to go with another technology or keep using
the old SDK for as long as they can. Anything in particular you thinking of breaking or is
this just a general statement and more long term than short term thinking?

Perhaps a better way forward it to take some performance hits and them try and optimise for
performance. There are certainly parts of the SDK that can be improved performance wise with
minor changes to the SDK.

Thanks,
Justin