From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Flex 5 and non-SWF targets: Skinning
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 04:19:38 GMT
Hi Omar,

> You should check out ext.js if you haven't, they have most of the components Flex has
and then some.
I looked at it some time ago and though it was ok however the more recent EJ4 does looks like
a vast improvement. I'll look more into it. I still have some issue with lack of tools and
language features in JS. I have been coding JS since IE3 days so have a fairly good idea of
it's benefits and limitations.

> The point is that many applications will not use Flex because targetting AVM limits their
ability to be on tablets
> and mobile devices as a web application.

Well not entirely correct you can right now target Android FP (11.1) and you can target iOS
and Android via AIR but your right there's no flash player in a browser on iOS. iOS and Android
are more about apps  and Flex (via AIR) does continue to work there so it may or may not be
an issue depending on how you want to distribute your application.

> Compiling to JavaScript would solve that while providing a more robust application framework
with type safety to develop in.
I agree there. And we wont have any idea re performance until someone gives it a go.

Thanks,
Justin