From Timothy Jones <Timothy.Jo...@syniverse.com>
Subject RE: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - don't listen to Steve!
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:50:46 GMT
Just my two cents...

As a Linux user and developer, I have always hated how the Linux Flash runtime is always seems
to be a few releases behind Adobe's Windows and Mac versions, how Adobe's content creation
tools (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, CS3, and even Flex Builder) aren't available on Linux AT ALL.
  It took Adobe FOREVER to produce a decent 64-bit Linux build of Flash.  Seeing as how Mac
OS is both Darwin/BSD AND Intel 64-bit-based, there is no technical reason it should have
taken so long.

I joined this list because my team at work already has a significant investment in Flex, and
finally Flex has an opportunity to realize its true potential as a fully open-source technology
under Apache's guidance.  I will be very happy to see any progress Flex makes away from Flash.
 If that means moving towards HTML5/js, that's even better.  And it's not because Steve Jobs
said so.

The end goal I want to see is to see a complete Flex development environment that runs on
any FreeBSD/Linux distro, produces content that runs in Chrome/Firefox/any-other-modern-browser,
(yes, also on Linux) and requires not a single executable byte from adobe.com. I'll be happy
to help test Apache Flex on many variants of that configuration for you. :-)

tlj