From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [CODE] Short cleanup
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:26:44 GMT
I think it would be better to have the VERSION constant injected by the compiler. Alex wants
it in every class but we sometimes forget to put in the include statement or an explicit VERSION
constant. And then it's just a build option and the source code doesn't have to be preprocessed.

- Gordon Smith, Adobe

-----Original Message-----
From: omuppi1@gmail.com [mailto:omuppi1@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Om
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 2:20 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [CODE] Short cleanup

I like this approach.  This is how we bake in application version numbers, build timestamp,
etc. while compiling release builds of Flex apps we ship.

> Minor issue with this is that now the Version.as files are out of sync
> with SVN, could accidentally be checked back in with wrong version
> numbers or the like.
>
> I guess there's the more philosophical  question of do we really want
> ANT scripts that modify the source code?

We can revert Version.as to its original state after compiling or just not check in the changed
Version.as.  A carefully constructed build script should do the trick.  This way we don't
really care if Ant is making changes to the source code.

Om