From David Arno <da...@davidarno.org>
Subject Re: [gosh] Goshhawk language choices and more [Was: Adobe / Apache / Spoon Flex Tour]
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:31:58 GMT
On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 01:35 +0200, Left Right wrote:
> David, I used Metaas, and I know that grammar file... it's well, it's
> wrong, and it doesn't reflect many things that happened since FP10 (Metaas
> project was abandoned before FP10 was released, so, no handling for
> vectors, for example, but not only that, it really is an oversimplification
> of AS3 syntax), some particular evil things like metadata haven't been
> handled there... neither conditional compilation was. It might sound like a
> 1%, but it may be a dealbreaker as well... you really never know. You must
> have a solid proof, not an assumption that "it will probably work".
It will probably work is good enough for me at the moment to warrant
giving it a try. If it doesn't work out in the end, then I was wrong and
we'd all have learnt from it.

> And, yeah, you are wrong about SWC, it's just a zip archive - I used it to
> just save JPEGs for simpler project management.
Please don't play Mr Pedantic. A SWC to most Flex devs is a zip file
with a SWF file inside it. Regardless of file extension, if it lacks a
SWF, it's just a zip with a different name.

> There is no correspondence between the time the language was invented, and
> how wisely it was designed. COBOL and Java are examples of human stupidity
> propagated to the extent of absurdity... While C is a nice small language,
> which actually is very much consistent with itself and logical (unlike the
> bigger brother - C++).
That's the thing about programming languages: one man's marmite sandwich
is another's inedible muck on a plate. I hate C. It's overly complex,
uses a nasty syntax etc. I can live with Java though as it's OK. Not
great, but way better than C in my opinion. You clearly have a different
opinion...

> I feel silly having to defend Common Lisp...
Well we agree on that at least ;)

> Have you considered that your point of view may be what it is because
> everyone does Java these days, so I'm doing it too - why be different, if I
> wanted to be different, I'd buy an Apple computer? :)
No, because I don't actually use Java very much. I just see it as the
best choice in this case. Oh and I don't own any Apple products either.
Not a fan as it happens. I gave up trying to be different years ago with
computing. It just makes life hard.

> After all, don't you have a soul, an actual programming soul that demands a
> fang-shui, a perfection at the smallest detail - a tool crafted precisely
> to do exactly what you need?
Um, no, not really. The art to being a good developer is nothing to do
with having fancy tools; it's in knowing how to craft well with any
tool.

David.