From David Arno <da...@davidarno.org>
Subject Re: [gosh] Goshhawk language choices and more [Was: Adobe / Apache / Spoon Flex Tour]
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 22:27:13 GMT
On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 23:19 +0100, Niel Drummond wrote:
> I don't recommend the approach of writing a separate javascript layer -
> haxe has the concept of "untyped" code blocks, and a special Dynamic type,
> which is extremely useful at getting around browser incompatibilities (I
> think GWT has something similar). I don't think it makes sense to create a
> javascript backend without this feature.
When I looked into the idea of us simply porting Flex to haXe to solve
the JavaScript-target issues, what you describe was one of the killer
issues that made haXe a no-go.

haXe doesn't do anything clever to target the DOM and
JavaScript-specific component libraries, thus if we followed the haXe
approach, we'd end up with Flex trying to render via canvas elements.
The canvas is far too slow in all browsers at present for this to be an
option.

Therefore I think with Flex our only choice is to do the complete
opposite of haXe and to write JavaScript-specific renderers to replace
all the skin classes in Flex. That is the only way we can hope to get
good performance.

David.