From Ariel Jakobovits <arielj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 22:00:20 GMT
Regarding asdocs, will we be able to reliably point users to the Flash Player AS3 documentation
from our imported Flex doc site?

Ariel Jakobovits
Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
Phone: 650-690-2213
Fax: 650-641-0031
Cell: 650-823-8699

________________________________
 From: Martin Heidegger <mh@leichtgewicht.at>
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 8:43 AM
Subject: [RT] Documentation (split from: Awesome User Experience)

Hello Francis

I think you are talking more about developer experience than end-user experience.

The wiki seems a good start for documentation to me but I agree that it has some serious drawbacks.
For example: we can not easily include swf's and AS3 code formatting is sub-par. But i think
if those requests are
raised to the infrastructure team then they will be dealt with. This would result in following
documentation locations:

*) Wiki: edited documentation, documentation about concepts with example section
*) Blog: Time-related documentation: Changes/News
*) API-Docs: Generated API documentation

It would be not so hard to provide something like the PHP Ninja manual [1] that sets up on
the online data.

The only problem I see with the wiki solution is the translation. I personally think "just
english" is enough. However: For some reason japanese developers (as a example) seem to be
really trying to translate everything and I am not yet sure how this could be done with the
wiki.

However: this raises another question:

@Adobe: I assume that the Flash Player AS3 documentation will stay at the Adobe site:
Do you plan to submit the Flex documentation (not just api docs) to apache?
Might that include Tour De Flex?
What system/format does it use?
Can the community help with that?

yours